Turned crash bar into rear seat loop

So I took one of the old rusty crash bars and turned it into the rear loop for the seat. I put it into the band saw and cut it to length. I then bent it to the correct width. Ground the correct angle to it. I broke out the Lincoln and welded it to the frame. It came out looking great

image

image

image

Those old leather coats from the thrift store work great to protect everything from welding.

image

Handlebars done

So I finally finished the handlebars for the cafe racer. I started with a set of old Honda CL360 bars. I removed the crossbar, then I cut 3 inches off the rise, and shortened them an inch on each side. These were originally going to be clubman bars but I felt like they were way to low for a good handling ride.

image

The week of September 14th

This week is a busy one catching up on the four day week last week.  I have to travel to Windsor this week to install a new water pump on a 1948 Chevy. In the shop I will be installing new exhaust manifold gaskets on an old Range Rover, finishing the cafe racer, and finishing up a few paint touchups on the shop truck before putting it up for sale. I will also be trying to finish the doors for the1930 roadster.  I hope to finish my first how to video on pounding out the roadster doors. These doors had up to an inch of bondo in places.

Getting a 259 Studebaker to Run Correctly

I spent half of Monday and most of Tuesday getting the 259 to Run correctly at cruise speed. It would idle great, wide open throttle great, but cruised like it had a drunken hamster on the wheel.

Problem with reengineering engine parts is the r&d portion. So I turned the intake from a 180 degree design to an open design. I did this because my balance tester told me the right side of the carb was working better than the left. I knew it was not the carb it had to be my manifold design. I opened up the intake so all cylinders could draw from either side of the carburetor. This did the trick and I dropped jetting towards lean two sizes.

This made it run much better but it still was a bit rough at cruise speed. I had a idea it was the mechanical advance in the distributor. I robbed the distributor from the 1960 Champ. Installed it with a new set of points. Success it runs fantastic.

image
This was the main problem with the bad performance at cruise speed.